Yes, I have finally find out what I have been looking for. Over the years I’ve always wanted to figure myself out – it sounds funny, but being able to say yes it’s okay to be yourself. It’s okay to be weird and outside of the box.
For quite some time I was literally playing on the fence between which personality type I was – I was always having trouble figuring out whether I was an INFJ, INFP or ISFJ. I became too irritated and concerned on finding the perfect label for myself. Even when going through the forums I still wasn’t so sure which one I was. Not until someone mentioned HSP. HSP stands for Highly Sensitive Person. I’m already getting an image of some non-hsp’s laughing at this or pretty much dismissing this as a “Stop labelling yourself” lol.
- I pretty much went through the 22 traits that might suggest you are a Highly Sensitive Person: Of those checklist I can relate to 15-16 of those traits.
- I also went through the self test for HSP and can tick 22 of those check points (14 or more assumes you are probably HSP).
The traits that really stood off for me were:
- Intolerance to caffeine: Although I love the taste of Coffee and Tea, I can’t drink too much of it. If I have any caffeine-related drinks past 1pm I would be completely awake until the next day. Having strong caffeine beverages in general turn me into a zombie haha.
- Highly conscientious: Yes to that.
- Avoidance of Violent/gory films/news: I like action, but once it gets to the point of non-stop chopping/slicing it’s too much. I depise horror, so that’s definitely a genre I can’t watch. It’s also been a few years since I’ve watched the news, I found I was turning more pessimistic and drained out from the world when watching it.
- Love of music, art, fine tastes & sounds: I can talk about this all day (giggles)
- Other people’s moods affect me: Definitely, I remember a case where I had a friend who was incredibly down. Although I was eager to assist her, her energy drained everything out of me. It became too much, and my other friends noticed I was mentally drained & unhappy as well.
- Aware of subtleties in my environment, uncomfortable with loud noises: I remember often waiting outside of the auditorium prior to starting exams. It would be so terribly loud, and overwhelming seeing students chatter on about the exam. I would often be seen outside eating my sandwich and listening to music through earphones 😛
I could go on and on, but I think I should stop for now hehe.
There’s a lot of interesting test, quizzes and information on HSPs – that I could identify with. I’m glad I do because now I am able to have that extra support network, aside from family members and friends. I’m completely new to my realisation of being an HSP and look forward to meeting those that have similar traits ^^
What traits do you relate to? Do you have a HSP within your circle?